Tuesday 1 September 2009

The XX - XX




I am unsure if I have ever come across an album so solely beautiful as this.
At present time, it is hard to distinguish between any individual tracks, as I am listening to the album constantly on a complete loop. Also, because The XX have such a defined sound which they don't really stray from throughout the album, stand-out tracks are not the point.

What is the point is a sublimely-crafted, simplistic record which you never have to try to listen to, one of those rare records that can be fully enjoyed by letting it wash over you, but not forgotten or so easy to listen to that it becomes background music.

Haunting duetted vocals are used sparingly throughout, but never so much that you war ever conscious that the vocals are 'the sound' of the band. They are very much a product of it, a part of the package.

I am really looking forward to finding stand-out tracks in this album. At the moment, they are all brilliant. I like that.
'I am yours now. So now I don't ever have to leave.'

My Soul in a Small Black Box