Wednesday 23 September 2009

La Vie Rêvée des Anges

One of the most simplistically tragic things I have seen in a long time.
I love the 90's-poverty styling of this film, and this was clearly unintentional given the date it was made, but makes so much more of an impact looking at the film now.
The relationship between Isa and Sandrine is beautifully crafted, as is the entire character of Isa herself.

Marie's character, while an enigma, is not made to be liked.
In a way, you don't really want to find out about her, as she gives you no opportunity to do so, only judge her on her questionable actions.
Even so, her suicide in literally the last 3 minutes of the film is still a huge shock, as even though she is fragile, you don't expect the focus to change to her so quickly after Isa's farewell.
I found this incredibly gripping to watch, especially for something I intended to put on in the background.

My Soul in a Small Black Box