Tuesday 27 January 2009

A Kate Nash Double Bill

I haven't played either of these for a long time.
And as much as I've grown to dislike her messy writing style and songs which prodominantly sound the same...
The familiarity that these two give me is really nice.


Old Dances


Your lips are darker than before
and the bags under your eyes are blacker than they were
and there's something different about your skin
and nobody knows how you got home last night

Your bones are making me feel weary
and when you speak I can't hear a word that you say

And nobody knows how you got home last night
And still no one knows how you got home last night

There were three old dances we could dance maybe
Three old songs that we could sing maybe
everything could be alright
But I keep tripping up the steps
and there's some words I just forget
and the tunes are fuzzy in my mind
and nobody knows how you got home last night
still nobody knows how you got home

and my brain hurts, and my shoulders ache and I, I'm not sure if my heart can take,
and my brain hurts, and my shoulders ache and I have never felt this kind of pain.
and my brain hurts, and my shoulders ache and I think my heart's about to break.

and nobody knows how you got home last night
still no one knows how you got home last night





Navy Taxi

Rain spat in my face, thanks a lot mate
And I lost a tenner on the way
Thinking about it, did I spend it last night
When I was drunk and I wanted to get more drunk

Missed the train, thanks a lot mate
I didn't want to be late today, cause I'm always late
And I really hate always being late
And now the other train is delayed... great.

Carrying bags and a navy taxi man said
"Take your time love
'Cause you don't have to rush
'Cause it's your life and it's no one else's, sweetheart
Don't let someone put you in a box."

So I take all that other stuff that I said before
And I'm gonna make it work
'Cause I'm losing my mind and it's driving me up the wall

So I tried to help you carry your shopping
But I wasn't concentrating, I was talking
And I got it caught on the side of this thing and it split
And I'd try to help you walk along but I'd probably end up pushing you over
But don't worry, I'll never let you fall

And I'm stubborn and I shout and I'll cut you out
And I'll make you feel like I never wanted to make you feel

And this time, it will be different,
This time, it will be different.

My Soul in a Small Black Box