Monday 25 August 2008

Reading Festival 2008

Although I did spend a lot of time on my own, I really did enjoy this year despite it's heavy overtones.
Noyce is a blast. Proper love that kid.


Friday


Anti-Flag
I don't know what the fuck this was about. Some very angry political youth.

Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly
Very Oxfam.

Taking Back Sunday
Probably would havve enjoyed this if their sound wasn't so bad.

Queens of the Stone Age
Same old, same old.

Rage Against the Machine
Stunning. Bold statement, performed opening in Guantanamo execution uniforms.

Blood Red Shoes
Really enjoyed this. Wish I had seen or heard more before I turned up.

Be Your Own Pet
Even though it was a mess, that is what they are about. Glad I caught them before the split.

Jack Penate
Wonderful wonderful man.

MGMT
Incredible. Will definitely see in future. Has given the album a new lease of life.

Less Than Jake
Old school.

Ida Maria
Charming foreigner. Liked my Brownies jumper.

Friendly Fires
'Too cool for school.' But I'm converted, I don't care.

Saturday

Bloc Party
Again, very competent musicians. Just not much different from last year.

The Killers
A good fan set, but I couldn't help feel it was a case of 'going through the motions'. Shame.

Kids in Glass Houses
Underwhelming. Good background noise though, I guess.

Santogold
Very very good. Well rehearsed, and a lot of fun. Dancers were incredibly focused.

Mystery Jets
Blaaand.

The Ting Tings
Talentless whore.

Foals
Alriiight. Not brilliant. Passable at best, not enough energy for what they provide though.

Justice
Incredible. An amazing show, amazing atmosphere, and amazing flow. Amazing.

You Me At Six
Good stuff. Lots of energy, and a good crowd. Will look into them possibly.

Sunday

Alexisonfire
Noisy and fretted.

Plain White T's
Not particularly my bag, but they did well for the amount of shit they got.

Yeasayer
Shortest set ever. Not overly convinced.

Lightspeed Champion
Really nice show. Enjoyed the derogatory comments about Metallica.

Hadouken!
HOW are this lot still musically valid? They seemed REALLY mouldy this year.

Pendulum
Packed. Atmosphere IN tent would have got them points, if we weren't jammed in an outside corner.

Conor Oberst and the Msytic Valley Band
Emptiest set of the day. Probably shouldn't have had priority billing for such a new project.

The Last Shadow Puppets
Very very pleasantly surprised. Will be aquiring the album, really liked the direction of it.

Robots in Disguise
Not the electro cliche I had them down for. Actually quite entertaining.

Crystal Castles
Immense. The woman is a nut. speaker stomping and a stagee dive that went half way across the tent. I was in awe. 'Alice Practice' was intense.

CSS
Haven't lost it. Was really good to hear the new album live. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves a lot more.

My Soul in a Small Black Box